Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Is a Masters really Worth It?

Back in 2008 I decided that it was a good time to start working on a masters degree.  Due to the nature of my job and deployments, I decided that I would go to school online through the American Military University.  Initially, I enrolled in the Political-Military Intelligence Program...which lasted just one short year.  I managed to complete three courses in the program and decided that I wanted to study something that was more interesting and fun.  However, I deployed in the fall of 2009 and had to put my academics on hold for a year (luckily AMU lets you do that).  When I came back from deployment, I wanted to start back up, but not in my original field, so I moved into the Humanities Program.  It allows me to take fun classes like Buddhism, The Ancient World, and Hinduism!  However, it's a very slow process to take one class every semester, and that's really a stretch, I take breaks in between classes).  I have now completed three courses towards Humanities and I'm three weeks away from being done with my fourth class.  I'm still 21 credits and a comprehensive exam away from seeing anything on paper, and now I'm heading to Fort Leavenworth, KS this summer for a full year of school.  Sometimes I ask myself, is it worth it?  Do I really need a fancy piece of paper for my wall?  In the end, I think it is.  I love learning new things, and though I dread the weekly discussion board posts, I've definitely gained something from every class that I've taken...so I will press on!

No comments:

Post a Comment