Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Missing my Mom

Jacqueline Ellen Ryu
23 March 1950 - 5 October 2008
I'm a little behind on this and had wanted to post this on the anniversary of my mom's passing, but better late than never. Not everyone could attend the funeral and I wanted to share my memories of my wonderful, amazing mother.

11 Oct 2008
My mom was an amazing woman. The most generous and loving mother we could have wished for. She was strong, beautiful and full of life. Though there would never be enough time for me to tell you all the things we loved about her, I will try to highlight a few.

Mom could always be counted on, regardless of the time of day or where she was. Back in April, when I was in the hospital, I was up at 5am my time, which was 2 am mom's time, and I called her just to hear her voice. She said, "What can I do for you?". I asked her to come out here to Maryland to see me. She immediately bought a plane ticket and flew out to see me. She came from the airport right to the hospital and stayed the next two nights with me. Just having her near me was reassuring to me. She was always here to help whenever we called.

In addition to being such a wonderful mother, she was a devoted and loving wife to Jai. As all of us married this summer, I know that we all strive to have as successful a marriage as they had. One based on love, trust and the ability to cook well enough to keep our husbands happy! Even after Dad passed away, mom's love did not waiver. She knew that one day they would be back together.

And though selfishly, I feel as if she has been taken from us too soon, I believe in my heart that she and my dad are together now as they should be. Mom, we will strive to be the women that you taught us to be.
_________________________________________________________________
Mom - I still think about you every day. I miss you so much. You'll be happy to know that we are all doing well. You have two absolutely beautiful granddaughters - Julieta and Reagan. You would be incredibly proud of Juliette and Jen and the mothers they have turned out to be. Just so you know, Betty has been keeping an eye on us in your absence to make sure we continue to have the support that every girl needs from her mother. Say hi to dad for me! (Don't worry, his post is coming!)

4 comments:

  1. I am SO SO proud of you! I miss your Mom daily! She loves you so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful post. Your mom would be proud! I always loved her referring to me as the "third twin". I'll never forget her! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, that was beautiful. Your mom would be so proud of who you have become. I haven't known you long but know you well enough your mom and dad did a GREAT job with you.

    xoxoxo
    Your favorite Afghan Fat Camp Student,
    kris

    ReplyDelete